Ask The Doctors

Ankle surgery...Stiff knees


Q. I have arthritis in my right ankle. I’ve tried NSAIDs, shoe inserts, an ankle brace, and steroid injections, but it’s painful to walk. I’m pretty sure I need surgery. How do I decide between ankle fusion and ankle replacement?


Like with osteoarthritis in other joints, treatment for ankle arthritis starts with nonsurgical measures. There are several options for easing pain and maintaining function. But if your ankle arthritis is severe and these measures are no longer adequate, surgery can be considered. As you noted, there are two main types of surgery: ankle fusion (arthrodesis) and ankle replacement (arthroplasty). Your surgeon will take several factors into consideration to determine which one to recommend to you.

To continue reading this article or issue you must be a paid subscriber. Sign in

Subscribe to Arthritis Advisor

Get the next year of Arthritis Advisor for just $20. And access all of our online content - over 1,000 articles - free of charge.
Subscribe today and save 36%. It's like getting 4 months FREE!
Already Subscribed?
Click Here to Sign In | Forgot your password? | Activate Web Access